There is no official definition of what is a superfood, but it is largely considered to be a food that is especially beneficial for health and well-being. They tend to have higher than normal amounts of vitamins and nutrients. I don’t know many superfoods other than chia seeds. However, a few months ago, I read an article by Rich Roll naming a few of these superfoods and their health benefits. I was familiar with exactly one of these superfoods. See how many you know:
1) Natto for heart health
2) Cordyceps (Sinensis) Extracts for stamina
3) Tumeric as an anti-oxidant / anti-inflammatory (This is the one I knew!!)
4) Apricot Seeds & Sprouted Mung Beans for cancer cell inhibition
5) Green Coffee Beans for fat loss
6) Elk Antler Velvet for a testosterone booster
7) Suma Root & the 4 Ginseng Blend for an adaptogen
8) Camu Camu – it has the highest density of Vitamin C of any food on the planet
9) Moringa (Olefiera) is high in vitamins and minerals and it is anti-oxidant rich, reduces blood glucose and is lipid lowering
10) Pu-erh Tea (can be the most expensive tea in the world!) reduces plaque in the arteries, lowers LDL, reduces blood sugar and improves the body’s ability to metabolize fat.
So how many of these superfoods are your familiar with? If you want to read more about the awesomeness of these foods, you can read the entire article here.
I’m off to see if Amazon carries cordyceps. That plus chia seeds must equal amazing, right?
Sending many happy running thoughts your way from Seattle. I’m on vacation 🙂